If you want to deploy the App-V 5 Agent on your computers, you can use System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) 2012. The most easily method is to use an Application. By this way, you have the possibility to link some Dependencies and target specific operating system architecture (x64 or x86).
To deploy App-V 5 agent, you have to follow these steps:
- Configure Dependencies.
- Create Application.
- Configure Deployments type for x64 and x86.
- Deploy on a collection.
- Check installation.
Sometime, you need to deploy a KB using Application (.msu file) to your clients. Because it is not available in the Microsoft Update Catalog, you can not use Software Update to install it.
For example, to install App-V 5 on your clients, the Windows Management Framework 3.0 is a prerequisite for Windows 7. Windows 8 and 8.1 already include it.
This KB is not available in the catalog, we will use a Application to deploy it.
We will see how to deploy the Windows Management Framework 3.0 (KB2506143) using Application in System Center Configuration Manager 2012. With this method, you can link it as Dependency on another application and the installation can be automatically done. Continue reading
When you create a virtual machine with VMware, vSphere or Workstation, it has a floppy drive enabled by default. It can be used to deploy operating system with specific drivers, maybe you want to remove floppy drive after the installation.
To do this, you need to change some configuration in the BIOS of the virtual machine:
- At the boot, press F2 to go into SETUP:
In order to deploy App-V 5 on your clients, the .Net Framework 4 Full is a prerequisite for Windows 7 computers. Windows 8 and 8.1 already include this Framework.
We will see how to deploy .Net Framework 4 Full using Application in System Center Configuration Manager 2012. With this method, you can link it as Dependency on another application and installation can be automatically done. Continue reading
With Configuration Manager 2012, you have a new feature to deploy your software: Application. To use Application, you need to add a Detection Method. This detection method is based on several criterias and it will check if the application is already installed on the computer.
SCCM included three built-in detections:
- File/Folder: check if a file exists on the drive. Date modified, Version and Size can be used.
- Registry: Check if a registry key exists.
- Windows Installer: Check if a product code is installed.
Moreover, you can user another detection:
- Custom script: write and execute you own script to detect the application. You can use Powershell, VBScript and JScript.
However, when you want to install a software update using Application, there is no built-in function to detect if the update is installed. You have to use a custom script.
When Microsoft release a new Cumulative Update for ConfigMgr 2012, the SCCM Agent is updated too with a new version. To fix some bugs and improvements, you need to deploy it on all your clients.
To do this, you can choose two solutions:
- Use the CAB file in the folder [SCCMInstall]\hotfix\KB\SCUP and deploy it with SCUP, that means you are using Software Updates.
- Deploy the new version with two packages, one for x86 and one for x64, included in the Cumulative Update. With this solution, you can easily update your client with no technical requisite.
We will see how to update clients with the second solution, using package.