With an Office 365 business subscription, Microsoft provides a new service in order to make the migration easier: Import File. This service allows us to import PST files into Office 365 mailboxes with a web interface. For the moment, you can use it for free, but it will be available for purchase later in 2016.
However, if you try this function without prerequisites, you will get an error for each mailbox. On the status page, you will see this error: Please add Mailbox Import Export role for user running Import and check back in 60 minutes.
Let’s see how to correct this error:
Import Export Role
Even if you are the global administrator of your Office 365 tenant, you don’t have the rights to import export data from a mailbox. This role is managed by Exchange part and not on Active Users from Office portal.
To grant you access on this feature:
- Go to Exchange Control Panel:
- Select Permissions page and click on the + to add a role group:
- Enter a name and a description for the new role group.
- Click on the + button to select a role:
- Select the Mailbox Import Export role and click on Add:
- The last step is to select members of the new role goup:
- Once you chose the members and finished the role group creation:
New Import job
After you granted some rights, you need to logoff and logon on the Office 365 portal.
Create a new migration job with the same mailboxes to import:
You can get more information about Import PST File to Office 365 here.