Sometimes, you may need to change the product key, the license, of an existing SQL Server installation. This can happen if you installed the product in Evaluation mode or if you want to upgrade to Enterprise from Standard edition. Fortunately, this modification does not require to uninstall and reinstall SQL Server. It can be done using Setup Wizard.
But, you may not have the Product Key displayed in your msdn subscription portal. It can be find in the .iso file that you downloaded from the website.
Let’s see how to do that:
When you download SQL Server from MSDN subscription, the product key is not displayed:
You can get the license from the SQL Server iso file:
- Mount the iso in Windows Explorer.
- Go to x64 folder and open DefaultSetup.ini file:
- The Product Key is set in the PID row:
Change the Configuration
Once you get the product key, you can reconfigure the SQL Server installation.
- Start SQL Server 2014 Installation Wizard:
- Under the Maintenance node, click on Edition Upgrade:
- Check “Enter the product key” and past it.
- Validate modification in the Wizard and click on Upgrade:
- Check that modifications are completed.
You can get more information about SQL Server 2014 and licensing here.